Thursday, January 18, 2018

Planting tomatoes....anywhere

So in the desert southwest it's a little early for the tomato planting, or at least for me in Queen Creek as it may still get a little cold, but I got my seedlings and am bumping them up into one gallon pots.  The planting/transplanting method is the same.

Dig a hole (use a larger pot)



Set the seedling in



Push the soil in around the seedling and water it in well.  I usually use bone meal when I do the final planting into the garden because it helps with the rooting of the plant.  When I am just bumping it up using potting soil you don't have to add much extra if you are using a good quality potting soil.
I plant tomatoes deep because the little hairs on the stems will actually become roots, and the better root system you have the better off the plant is usually.




No comments:

Post a Comment